AHEAD: Program overview
AHEAD (Amazon, Hardware, Embedded, Artificial Intelligence, Design) is a fully-funded STEM opportunity for students ages 8-13 to participate in a year-round enrichment program bringing the magic of STEM to life. AHEAD is designed for historically underrepresented youth residing in the Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay, or Washington, D.C. (D.M.V.) metro areas. Selected applicants will attend this innovative program delivered by iD Tech, the world’s top STEM educator, and will be immersed in hands-on learning through a custom curriculum enhanced by Amazon hardware.
Students will engage in life-changing STEM education.
The virtual experience will include:
- 4:1 Student to instructor ratio, Virtual Sessions
- Small-group virtual courses 2 times a month for 2 hours each class
- Opportunity to practice essential skills: receiving/providing feedback, develop project management skills, develop resilience and determination, and setting and achieving goals, among others
- Each student will build a project that showcases their technological skils that can be highlighted in intershop and college applications
- Courses will reinforce programming and design skills with Amazon hardware developed for a customized curriculum for Amazon AHEAD students
In-person sessions will include:
- Two half-day experiences (5 hours each) during 10 month program
- An Empowerment Speaker Series with guest speakers from Amazon sharing insight on their career pathway
- Hardware/software demos by Amazon engineers on product leads
- Technological lectures delivered by Amazon subject matter experts
- Hands-on activity focused on reinforcement of virtual STEM courses
- Students will receive education on STEM careers and opportunities available for professionals that continued on their STEM-learning journey
- Students will receive an offical iD Tech and Amazon diploma
- Parent Orientation August 2022
- AHEAD program September 2022 through June 2023
All scholars will meet the following criteria:
- Ages 8-13.
- Designed for historically excluded youth, including Black, Latinx, and Native American students and girls.
- Reside in the Los Angeles, San Francisco Bay, or Washington, D.C. (D.M.V.) metro areas.
- Have a desire to learn STEM. No prior experience in require.
- Participate in a year-round program from September 2022 - June 2023, with twice monthly sessions.
- Attend two in-person sessions over the 10 month program.